According to the Jewish Virtual Library, there are about 50 Jews in Guadaloupe. The first Jewish group to settle the island consisted of three shiploads of refugees from Brazil in 1654 who were cordially received by the French owner of the island. The Jews initiated sugarcane plantations, and refineries accounted for the island's main exports. "The Black Code" of Louis XIV in 1685 ordered the expulsion of Jews. In the second half of the 20th century, Jews from North Africa and France settled on the island. In 1988 the synagogue Or Sameah was founded together with a community center, Talmud Torah, kosher store, and cemetery.
For up to date information on Kosher restaurants and locations please see the Shamash Kosher Database