Last Yom Kippur, the world was shocked and saddened to learn of an unfolding attack by a heavily armed, far-right extremist on the synagogue in Halle, Germany. Unable to gain access, the gunman then directed his violence outside. He killed two people.
To mark the one-year anniversary of the 2019 Yom Kippur attack on Halle, the World Jewish Congress will be conducting a small, socially distanced event at the synagogue in Halle in person the day after Yom Kippur. All are invited to tune into the video livestream. This event comes in advance of the October 9 calendar anniversary of the attack.
LIVESTREAM LINK: https://www.worldjewishcongress.org/en/halle
The event will include remarks from the below speakers, who will convene in Halle for the anniversary event:
- Dr. Felix Klein, Gerrman Federal Commissioner for Jewish Life in Germany and the Fight Against Anti-Semitism
- Max Privorozki, President of the Jewish community of Halle
World Jewish Congress representatives:
- Three young leaders from Germany who are part of WJC’s global Jewish Diplomatic Corps:
- Gila Baumoehl, Personal Advisor to the President of the Central Council of Jews in Germany
- Michaela Fuhrmann, Head of Political Affairs and Communications, and Advisor to the Board of the Jewish Community in Frankfurt
- Eugen Balin, Member of the Board of Directors of the Central Council of Jews in Germany
- Dr. Maram Stern, WJC Executive Vice President
The event will include video messages from Dr. Josef Schuster, President of the Central Council of Jews in Germany and WJC Vice President, and Raya Kalenova, Executive Vice President of the European Jewish Congress.
More information on World Jewish Congress’ event is here.
WJC President Ronald Lauder visited the synagogue soon after the attack last year. He underscored that “action, not words” are needed in the global fight against antisemitism. The same remains critical today, one year later.
About the World Jewish Congress
The World Jewish Congress (WJC) is the international organization representing Jewish communities in 100 countries to governments, parliaments and international organizations.
Twitter | Facebook
West End Strategy Team
+1 202-215-9260; email@example.com
+49 177 5057300; firstname.lastname@example.org