World Jewish Congress online event will coincide with convening of the 75th Session of the United Nations General Assembly; event organized in partnership with German Mission to the UN, co-sponsored by other missions
NEW YORK - On Tuesday, November 17, 2020, at 10 a.m. EST/16:00 CET, the World Jewish Congress will hold a high-level online event featuring a panel of distinguished speakers on the role of the United Nations in combating antisemitism as a side event to the 75th Session of the United Nations General Assembly. Antisemitism poses a threat to democratic values, peace and stability, and the World Jewish Congress has long worked with the United Nations to ensure the fight against antisemitism is a priority of the UN’s human rights agenda.
The full slate of distinguished speakers is below.
On November 9, the World Jewish Congress honored UN Secretary-General António Guterres with its highest honor, the WJC Theodor Herzl Award. In his remarks, Guterres said, “For me, the fight against antisemitism is deeply personal. I came of age in modern Europe as it was recovering from the war. Opposition to the tyranny of fascism was central in the development of my social and political consciousness. To see neo-Nazis and white supremacists on the march today is bone-chilling.” In a keynote speech at the WJC Plenary Assembly in April 2017, Guterres pledged to “be on the front lines in the fight against antisemitism.”
Tuesday’s online side event will be held in partnership with the Permanent Mission of the Federal Republic of Germany to the United Nations and co-sponsored by the Permanent Missions of Albania, Argentina, Austria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Canada, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, India, Israel, Italy, Romania, Republic of Bulgaria, Slovakia and Uruguay.
At the end of the event, UN member-states will be asked to pledge to support efforts within the UN to combat antisemitism.
More information and registration for the event can be found here.
WHAT: The Role of the United Nations in Combating Antisemitism
Keynote Speakers include:
- Amb. Michaela Küchler, President of the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance
- H.E. Tatiana Valovaya, Director-General of the United Nations at Geneva
- H.E. Audrey Azoulay, Director-General of UNESCO
- H.E. Miguel Moratinos, High Representative for the UN Alliance of Civilizations
- Amb. Gilad Erdan, Permanent Representative of Israel to the United Nations
- World Jewish Congress representative
- Ahmed Shaheed, UN Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Religion and Belief
- Katharina von Schnurbein, European Commission Coordinator on Combating Antisemitism
- Yuval Shany, Vice Chair of the UN Human Rights Committee
- Tracey Petersen, Programme Manager of the Holocaust and UN Outreach Programme in the Department of Global Communications
- Karel Fracapane, Programme Specialist - UNESCO Division for Peace and Sustainable Development
WHEN: November 17, 2020 at 10 a.m. EST/16:00 CET
About the World Jewish Congress
West End Strategy Team