BUCHAREST, Romania - The World Jewish Congress is gathered in Bucharest through 18 June for the first-ever International Meeting of Special Envoys and Coordinators Combating Antisemitism convened together with Jewish communities from around the world.(c) Shahar Azran
This unprecedented meeting is taking place under the patronage and with the participation of the Romanian Presidency of the EU, in cooperation with the WJC, with the goal of bringing this conference forward as a regular event.
The gathering coincides with the WJC’s 6th National Community Directors’ Forum, bringing together global Jewish leaders and global counter-antisemitism coordinators to discuss the key issues facing Jewish communities today and deliberate best practices going forward. The special envoys and coordinators will meet separately for internal discussions, and then reconvene with the national Jewish community directors for a series of high-level talks at the Palace of the Parliament, under the auspuces of the EU Presidency.
There are some 50 National Executive Directors of Jewish communities present, together with 30 special envoys and coordinators, from countries as diverse as Azerbaijan to Germany to Russia and the United States. As the current holder of the EU presidency, Romania has a special role here in facilitating such a dialogue.
Key speakers at this gathering include:
• Romanian Prime Minister & EU Council President H.E. Mrs. Viorica Dancila
• Elan Carr, US Special Envoy for Combating Antisemitism
• Felix Klein, Commissioner for Jewish Life in Germany and the Fight Against Antisemitism
• Katharina von Schnurbein, European Commission Coordinator for Combating Antisemitism
• George Santer, Chairman of the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance
• Ingibjorg Solrun Gisladottir, Director of ODIHR
• WJC Commissioner for Combating Antisemitism Julius Meinl
• WJC CEO and Executive Vice President Robert Singer
For more information, contact WJC Director of Public Relations Aliyana Traison at email@example.com