28 October 1948 | Provisional Council of State unveils Israeli flag
On 28 October 1948, the Israeli Provisional Council of State—which served as the temporary legislature of Israel from between the declaration of independence until the election of the first Knesset in January 1949—voted unanimously to approve the adoption of the Israeli flag. As described in the Proclamation of the Flag of the State of Israel, the flag featured a white background with two horizontal blue stripes and the Star of David in its center.
The Council debated whether to use the World Zionist Congress flag or create a new one. Some argued that creating a new flag would cause confusion internationally; others maintained that if the flags were the same, Jews in the Diaspora would be accused of dual loyalty.