WJC Vice-President (ICJW)
Representative, International Council of Jewish Women
Born in Montevideo, Uruguay. Has a B.A. in Linguistic and a Ph.D. in Environmental Education. Was Assistant Professor at the University of the Republic of Uruguay and also worked for many years as a Translator for the United Nations Environment Program and the Center for Human Settlement in Nairobi, Kenya, and in Montevideo, Uruguay.
With reference to her community activities, is now:
- Immediate Past President of the International Council of Jewish Women
- Vice President of the World Jewish Congress
- Vice President of the Uruguayan Jewish Community (first woman at this post)
- Member of the Board of Director of the Jewish Community in Uruguay
- Member of the Council of Jews and Christians, Uruguay
- Member of the Committee for the follow up of Democracy, Equity and Citizenship, the Uruguayan Women Umbrella Organization.
- President of CEFIDU, the Jewish Women Umbrella organization in Uruguay.
- Member of COPREDI, the political advisory unit of the Board of Directors of the Uruguayan Jewish Community
- Member of the Board of Governors B’nai B’rith International
- Advisor to the International Women’s Council of Jews and Christians
- Vice President of International Council of Jewish Women
- Co chairperson, Committee on Development and Environment ICJW
- Co chairperson, Status of Women Committee ICJW
- Co chairperson, Latin American Regional Committee ICJW
- President of the Uruguayan Council of Jewish Women
- Member of the National Family Council (Ministry of Education)
- Member of “Friends of the Weizmann Institute”, where for many years translated, coordinated and edited a Scientific Magazine in Spanish.
Sara Winkowsi has actively participated in various World Conferences, including UN Women Conference in Nairobi and in Beijing, UN Environment Conference (ECO 92) in Rio de Janeiro, Beijing +5 and +10 in New York, UN Conference on Sustainable Development, in Johannesburg, UN Human Settlements Conference in Istanbul and in New York, as well as several other Environmental and Human Settlement conferences in Nairobi, Kenya, etc. Annually attends United Nations CSW Conference in New York.