The World Jewish Congress is horrified by the vicious attack unleashed today against a Chabad synagogue near San Diego, just six months after the deadly shooting at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh which claimed 11 lives. WJC President Ronald S. Lauder expressed his deep sorrow and condolences to the victims of the California attack, after the San Diego sheriff confirmed that one person had been killed and three others wounded.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the Jewish community of Poway, California today as their worst nightmare unfolds. There is absolutely no justification or explanation for such violence, and it is inconceivable that yet again innocent people have been targeted simply for their religion and for choosing to attend a place of worship,” Lauder said.
“We strongly condemn this heinous attack extend our deepest sympathies to the victims, their loved ones, and the entire community. We pray for the swift recovery of the injured and trust that justice will be served against the perpetrator of this attack. There is no room for such hate-filled violence in our society. People of all faiths must stand together and declare that we will never tolerate such hatred,” Lauder said.
Update on the situation at the San Diego Chabad synagogue in Poway:— WJC (@WorldJewishCong) April 27, 2019
- 1 shooter
- 1 suspect is arrested
- Several people reportedly injured
Today is the last day Passover. The Chabad congregation in Poway established in 1986 is a center for Jewish people of all backgrounds. pic.twitter.com/8yZMR5cOpM