Chella Safra was born in Beirut, Lebanon, in 1951. She graduated from the Lycée Français - Institution Sainte Anne. Mrs. Safra lives in São Paulo, Brazil.
Chella and her late husband Moise have supported support numerous Jewish organizations in Brazil, the United States, Israel and around the world, as well as being benefactors of many educational, medical, research, artistic and religious causes globally.
During the past 40 years, Mrs. Safra has been actively engaged in the management and supervision of numerous institutions focused on health, education, art and social welfare. Currently, her activities include:
- Member of the Executive Board and the Consulting Board of Karen Hayesod of São Paulo. Mrs. Safra was also a Founding member of the Women’s Division of the Keren Hayesod of São Paulo in 1986 and has served as its Honorary President since then. She was the Brazilian representative of the Keren Hayesod to the Jewish Agency Board from 1986 until 2000. She was also the Editor of the Kol News Magazine of Karen Hayesod from 1991 until 2001.
- Founding member of Americas Amicas, an NGO dedicated to increasing breast cancer awareness and early detection among disadvantaged women in Brazil. Americas Amicas donates mammography machines and establishes centers for women throughout Brazil.
- Member of AABIM Friends of the Israel Museum.
- Member of the Consulting Board of the MAM (The São Paulo Museum of Modern Art ).
In addition, Mrs. Safra
- Volunteered at the Hospital Israelita Albert Einstein in São Paulo from 1972 until 1983.
- Was a member of the B’nai Brith Support Group for the Elderly.
- Volunteered at the Crianca Sorriso, an organization that supports disadvantaged children in Brazil’s favelas (shantytowns), from 1990 until 1994.
- Was the President of the Social Welfare Group of Congregation Beit Yaacov in Sao Paulo from 1987 to 1995. She was also a founder of the Jewish Day school (Atelier Judaic) of Congregation Beit Yaacov.
At the 14th World Jewish Congress Plenary Assembly in Budapest (06 May 2013) Chella Safra was elected Treasurer of the WJC.